BJ's Wholesale Club Announces Second Quarter EPS Of $0.84
BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc. (NYSE: BJ) today reported net income for the second quarter ended July 30, 2011 of $45.7 million, or $0.84 per diluted share. These results significantly exceeded the Company’s guidance for net income in the range of $40.5 to $42.5 million and earnings in the range of $0.74 to $0.78 per diluted share. For the second quarter of 2010, the Company reported net income of $35.8 million, or $0.67 per diluted share.
For the first half of 2011, net income was $79.4 million, or $1.47 per diluted share. For the first half of 2010, net income was $61.9 million, or $1.16 per diluted share.
Laura Sen, BJ’s president and chief executive officer, said, “BJ’s outperformance of 10% versus our guidance reflected favorable merchandise margins, higher gas profitability and expense savings that exceeded plan. We are very excited about our positive sales momentum for the second quarter and first half of 2011. It is clear that our members are doing more of their weekly food shopping with us. And I believe that we have tremendous opportunities to further grow our business.”
As previously announced, net sales for the second quarter of 2011 increased by 11.0% to $2.98 billion and comparable club sales increased by 7.8%, including a contribution from sales of gasoline of 4.0%. Excluding the impact of gasoline, merchandise comparable club sales increased by 3.8%.The Company provided the following additional information regarding comparable club sales for the second quarter (all comparisons are to the comparable, prior year period):
- Comparative Club Sales by Geographic Region
|Thirteen Weeks Ended July 30, 2011|
|ComparableClub Sales||Impact ofGasoline Sales||MerchandiseComparable ClubSales|
|Upstate New York||10.9%||6.2%||4.7%|
|Metro New York||4.8%||1.3%||3.5%|
- Competition and cannibalization had an estimated negative impact of approximately 1.6%.
- Excluding the impact of gasoline, member traffic was approximately flat, following a 4% increase in last year’s second quarter. The average transaction amount increased by approximately 3% following a 1% decline in last year’s second quarter.
- Sales of food increased by approximately 5% for the second year in a row, driven primarily by an 8% increase in perishable foods. On a two-year stacked basis, comparable club sales of perishable foods increased by approximately 16%. General merchandise sales increased by approximately 1% for the second quarter, following a slight decrease in last year’s second quarter.
- Departments with the strongest comparable club sales increases included beauty care, computer equipment, coffee, cookies, dairy, deli, lawn & garden, meat, prepared foods, produce, salty snacks and summer seasonal. Departments with weaker sales versus last year included books, televisions, toys and video games.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV