Dell CEO Michael Dell's conference call comments have been added to this story.
- PC maker Dell (DELL) reported adjusted earnings per share of 54 cents on sales of $15.66 billion for its fiscal second quarter.
- Analysts expected adjusted EPS of 49 cents on sales of $15.76 billion, compared to the 32 cents EPS on revenue of $15.5 billion reported in the year-ago period.
- Dell, whose shares are up 17% for the year on strength in its enterprise and small business sales, saw its stock close up 1.94% Wednesday at $15.80. Shares were down over 7% at one point in the after-hours session.
ROUND ROCK, Texas (TheStreet) -- Dell's second-quarter revenue miss and weak outlook sent the PC maker's shares into a tailspin after market close on Tuesday, despite posting a better-than-expected profit.
The PC maker's stock plunged more than 7% in extended trading when Dell reported revenue of $15.66 billion, below the $15.76 billion expected by analysts. Dell also revised its full-year revenue growth forecast to between 1% and 5% from its previous guidance range, which ran between 5% and 9%.
Excluding items, Dell earned 54 cents a share -- well above the consensus estimate of 49 cents a share.The tech giant highlighted ongoing strength in its enterprise business as a key driver of its profit growth. The company's enterprise solutions and services revenue, for example, grew 4% year-over-year to $4.6 billion, while its server and networking sales climbed 9%. Revenue from the company's profit-rich services business was up 6% to $2 billion. Dell's storage business grew 15%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV