BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) is increasingly liking the prospects of MasterCard (MA), as it doubled a stake in the credit card processor in the second quarter after first buying shares three months earlier.
Berkshire Hathaway's 27-stock investment portfolio was valued at $52.4 billion June 30, down $1.2 billion, or 2.2%, in three months and about where it was at the start of the year, according to a filing Monday. The benchmark S&P 500 Index, in contrast, is down 5% this year.
Berkshire's allocation to Coca-Cola (KO), its largest holding at 25% of the portfolio, was unchanged in the second quarter, valued at $13.5 billion. The soft drink maker's shares are up 3.5% this year and up 24% over the past 12 months.
Buffett's holding company added to Wells Fargo (WFC), its second-largest holding, at 19% of the portfolio.Berkshire Hathaway trimmed its Kraft Foods (KFT) stake by 5.5%, but it's still the fifth-biggest holding at 6.7% of the portfolio. About a week ago, Kraft announced it was splitting up into two companies, a global-snacks unit and a North American grocery business. Buffett, 80, who is chairman and chief executive officer of Berkshire Hathaway, said he supported the move. >>View Warren Buffett's Portfolio But he criticized the company's management in January 2010 when it announced the $19.6 billion acquisition of the candy company Cadbury, calling it "a bad deal." Nevertheless, Kraft's shares are up 11% this year and 21% over the past 12 months. Hedge and investment funds like Buffett's that manage more than $100 million are required to disclose their equity holdings, options and convertible debt on a Form 13F filed to the Securities and Exchange Commission within 45 days of the end of a quarter. Funds aren't required to report short positions betting on declines. The following pages break down the stock performance of Buffett's newest holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV