Cohen's SAC Capital Advisors increased its monstrous Dendreon position by 5% to 8.6 million shares, or $351 million, at the end of the June quarter, according to the fund's 13F filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Monday night.
Dendreon was the largest single stock holding by position value in SAC's portfolio, according to the new 13F.
It's not known if Cohen sold any or all of his Dendreon position (or was hedged with a short position) before the company reported disastrous second-quarter results on Aug. 3 due to slower-than-expected sales of its Provenge prostate cancer therapy. But if Cohen held those 8.6 million shares of Dendreon, his fund would have lost more than $200 million.Hedge funds that manage more than $100 million are required to disclose their equity holdings, options and convertible debt on a Form 13F filed SEC within 45 days of the end of a quarter. Funds aren't required to report short positions betting on declines. SAC Capital Advisors ended the second quarter with 2,033 reported holdings with a market value of $17.4 billion. In other biotech and drug holdings, SAC eliminated entirely or sold large stakes in Amgen (AMGN), Biogen Idec (BIIB), Allos Therapeutics (ALTH), Cubist Pharmaceuticals (CBST), Gilead Sciences (GILD) and Inspire Pharmaceuticals (ISPH) during the second quarter, according to the fund's 13F. SAC increased positions in Acorda Therapeutics (ACOR), Human Genome Sciences (HGSI), Amarin (AMRN), InterMune (ITMN), Pfizer (PFE), and Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN). --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV