In the U.S., people laugh at Microsoft-Nokia with extremely close to 0% market share, but it is a bigger force around the world. From an anti-trust perspective, the U.S. government should view it/them as far behind Google and Apple, and perhaps even RIM. As such, if Microsoft-Nokia feels that this is the time to go for the jugular in the mobile space, it also has only one move left on the chessboard: acquire RIM.
While RIM has modeled its new QNX operating system on offering compatibility with Android apps starting in a few months, it also has a close relationship with Microsoft. RIM's enterprise server (BES - BlackBerry Enterprise Server) works best with Microsoft Exchange, and RIM announced in early May that it will use Bing in future BlackBerry devices, and is already doing so on the PlayBook. Steve Ballmer was even a keynote speaker at RIM's annual developer/user group meeting at that early May event!
The bottom line: Look beyond Google's immediate need to shore up its patent portfolio in order to defend Android. This is all about Google wanting to look exactly like Apple, and that just so happens to be what I would do if I were in charge of Google.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV