MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Google (GOOG), of course, is quite sure that its $12.5 billion purchase of Motorola Mobility (MMI) will get rubber-stamped by regulators, despite the search giant facing heightened antitrust scrutiny in recent months.
"We're quite confident that this will be approved," said David Drummond, Google's chief legal officer, during a conference call before market open on Monday. "We believe, very simply, that this is a pro-competitive transaction."
Analysts think a little differently. Brian White, an analyst at Ticonderoga Securities, told TheStreet that regulators are likely to be all over the Motorola acquisition.
"I expect that they will give Google a rough time," he said. "In the PC market Google dominates search, and now it's trying to dominate mobile, so that will raise some questions."The deal is Google's biggest-ever acquisition and should give it a big leg up in the booming smartphone market, where its Android operating system is locked in a fierce battle with Apple's (AAPL) iOS. Google already faces lots of regulatory scrutiny, confirming in June that it is the subject of an antitrust investigation by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Last week The Wall Street Journal reported that regulators are focusing their investigation on the search giant's Android mobile-phone software and Web-search related services. The Journal said that FTC lawyers, in conjunction with several state attorneys general, have been asking whether Google prevents smartphone makers that use Android from using competitors' services. Motorola's 17,500 Android patents are at the core of Google's bid for the handset maker, marking an attempt to significantly bolster the Internet giant's modest patent portfolio. "Google has not materially been in the handset
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV