Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, and nearly 40 years in the investment business, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may or may not be repetitive from one issuer to another. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to view and make selections.
There is currently an expanding list of 20 ETFs oriented to the consumer staples sector with more on the way. The following analysis features a fair representation of ETFs available. We believe from these investors may choose an appropriate ETF to satisfy the best index-based offerings individuals and financial advisors may utilize.
We're not ranking these ETFs favoring one over another so don't let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use some of these in ETF Digest portfolios it's not our intention to recommend one over another.ETFs are based on indexes tied to well-known index providers including Russell, S&P, Barclays, MSCI, Dow Jones, Wisdom Tree, PowerShares, EG Shares and so forth. Also included are some so-called "enhanced" indexes that attempt to achieve better performance through more active management of the index. Where competitive issues exist and/or repetitive issues available at a fee cost saving we mention those as other choices. New issues are coming to market consistently (especially globally) and sometimes these issues will need to become more seasoned before they may be included at least in our listings. For traders and investors wishing to hedge, leveraged and inverse issues are available to utilize from ProShares and Direxion and where available these are noted. XLP (SPDR Consumer Staples Select Sector ETF) covers the Consumer Staples Select Sector Index which includes food and staples retailing, household products, beverages, tobacco and personal products. The fund was launched in December 1998. The expense ratio is .20%. AUM (Assets under Management) equal $4.1 billion with average daily trading volume of 8.5M shares. As of late July 2011 the annual dividend was $.66 making the current yield 2.05% and YTD return 7.60%. For traders and investors wishing to hedge, leveraged and inverse issues are available closely matching XLP's performance to utilize from ProShares and Direxion Shares.
Data as of July
XLP Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Procter & Gamble Company (PG): 14.27%
- Philip Morris International, Inc. (PM): 9.55%
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT): 8.16%
- Coca-Cola Company (KO): 7.26%
- Kraft Foods Inc (KFT): 4.98%
- CVS Caremark Corp (CVS): 4.59%
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP): 4.50%
- Altria Group Inc. (MO): 4.45%
- Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL): 3.75%
- Walgreen Company (WAG): 3.31%
Data as of July 2011
VDC Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Procter & Gamble Company (PG): 12.43%
- Coca-Cola Company (KO): 9.80%
- Philip Morris International, Inc. (PM): 8.28%
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT): 7.20%
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP): 7.02%
- Kraft Foods, Inc. (KFT): 4.16%
- Altria Group Inc. (MO): 4.12%
- CVS Caremark Corp (CVS): 3.59%
- Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL): 3.01%
- Walgreen Company (WAG): 2.87%
Data as of July 2011
IYK Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Procter & Gamble Company (PG): 12.14%
- Coca-Cola Company (KO): 9.77%
- Philip Morris International, Inc. (PM): 8.10%
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP): 7.64%
- Kraft Foods Inc (KFT): 3.89%
- Altria Group Inc. (MO): 3.75%
- Ford Motor Co (F): 3.51%
- Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL): 2.94%
- Monsanto Company (MON): 2.68%
- Johnson Controls, Inc. (JCI): 1.91%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV