United Community Financial Corp. (Company) (Nasdaq: UCFC), holding company of The Home Savings and Loan Company of Youngstown, Ohio (Home Savings), today reported a consolidated net loss of $1.8 million, or $(0.06) per diluted share, for the three months ended June 30, 2011. This compares to a net loss of $4.9 million, or $(0.16) per diluted share, for the three months ended June 30, 2010. The Company also reported cumulative net income of $1.2 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, for the six months ended June 30, 2011, as compared to a cumulative net loss of $10.0 million, or $(0.33) per diluted share, for the six months ended June 30, 2010.
Selected second quarter results:
- Delinquent loans declined $16.5 million to $141.8 million from the prior quarter
- Nonperforming loans declined $6.8 million to $139.1 million from the prior quarter
- Nonperforming assets declined $6.0 million to $182.8 million from the prior quarter
- Home Savings’ Tier 1 leverage ratio decreased 4 basis points from the prior quarter to 8.40%, still exceeding its required regulatory threshold of 8.00%. Total Risk Based Capital increased 45 basis points from the prior quarter to 13.47%
- Tangible book value per share at June 30, 2011 was $5.90, up from $5.72 at March 31, 2011
Net Interest Income and Margin
Net interest income for the three months ended June 30, 2011 was $17.1 million compared to $18.0 million for the three months ended June 30, 2010. Total interest income decreased $3.3 million in the second quarter of 2011 compared to the second quarter of 2010, primarily as a result of a decrease of $204.1 million in the average balance of outstanding loans. The Company also experienced a decrease in the yield on net loans of 17 basis points. Total interest expense, however, decreased $2.4 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2011, as compared to the same quarter last year. The change was due primarily to reductions of $2.3 million in interest paid on deposits. The overall decrease in interest expense was attributable to a shift in deposit balances from certificates of deposit to relatively less expensive non-time deposits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV