MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- Oh, how quickly investors forget! While it might have worked for some to ignore an absolute-return strategy as stock values have gone up over the past two years, it's certainly clear now the value of pair trades to any portfolio. The current market environment is screaming for investors to devote some -- if not all - of their portfolios to absolute returns.
The gains of the past couple of years have proven to be unsustainable. Just when you thought it was safe to enter the market, boom!, there comes another sharp move downward. Frighteningly, this selloff has come mostly out of the blue. Sure, the doom-and-gloom crowd will tell you that a crash was coming, but the majority opinion this summer was that stocks would continue their ascent thanks to strong earnings and a growing global economy.
Fear of a global financial crisis stemming from debt issues in Europe destroyed the dream of higher stock prices. The winners in the current environment have been investors in gold and short-sellers in stocks. Absolute-return investors using a long/short approach to the market have also done well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV