NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks soared Thursday, extending this week's dizzying up-and-down action, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average retraced much of its recent decline with help from modest improvement in employment data and a strong quarterly report from Cisco (CSCO).
The last five sessions have made for the largest one-day percentage moves in the history of the Dow.
The blue-chip index finished up 423 points, or 3.9%, at 11,143. The S&P 500 was higher by 51.8 points, or 4.6%, at 1172, and the Nasdaq advanced 111.6 points, or 4.7%, to close at 2492.
"It's like a basketball game," said Paul Nolte, director of investments with Dearborn Partners. "I don't think we will see a v-shaped pattern to the upside but it would be nice if markets could settle into a 4% to 5% trading range instead of moving on a daily basis by that much."Technology stocks were a bright spot after Cisco posted better than expected earnings late Wednesday and broke with its pattern of disappointing guidance, saying it sees year-over-year revenue growth of as much as 4% in the quarter. The stock jumped more than 15% to top the Dow. Financial stocks also showed strong gains with Bank of America (BAC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) among the Dow's biggest gainers alongside Exxon Mobil (XOM).
Volatile trading following news that an Asian bank had severed credit lines to major French lenders gave way to substantial gains after the Labor Department reported
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV