Kips Bay Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ: KIPS) today announced financial results for the second quarter and six months ended July 2, 2011.
Net sales were $48,000 in the second quarter of 2011 and 2010 while gross profit was down 6.9% or $2,000 in the second quarter of 2011 as compared to the second quarter of 2010. Net loss in the second quarter of 2011 was $1.0 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $5.9 million, or $0.43 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2010. During the second quarter of 2011, the Company initiated sales with one new independent distributor, and realized a gross margin of 56.3% compared to 60.4% in the second quarter of 2010. The decline in gross margin during the current quarter resulted from changes in the distributor sales mix and the effects of reduced manufacturing volumes on the cost of sales. Net loss for the second quarter of 2010 included a $5.0 million non-cash charge for the first milestone payment payable to Medtronic, Inc. triggered by the first commercial sale of the eSVS MESH. This milestone was paid in June 2011 on the one-year anniversary of the first commercial sale.
Net sales increased to $158,000 for the six months ended July 2, 2011, up from $48,000 for the same period in the prior year. The net loss in the first half of 2011 was $2.0 million, or $0.13 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $9.4 million, or $0.70 per diluted share, in the first half of 2010. The Company achieved a gross margin of 63.3% compared to 60.4% for the first half of 2011 and 2010, respectively. The net loss for the first half of 2010 included both the charge for the $5.0 million milestone obligation payable to Medtronic and a $2.3 million non-cash charge for an increase in the estimated fair value of an investor stock purchase option liability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV