WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Handy & Harman Ltd. rose Wednesday after the industrial manufacturer said its profit more than doubled in the second quarter on higher silver prices.
Handy & Harman said its profit rose to $16.8 million, or $1.32 per share. A year earlier it reported a profit of $6.3 million, or 52 cents per share. Revenue climbed 19 percent, to $191.2 million from $160.9 million as sales grew at four of its five businesses.
The company said revenue from its precious metals business rose 60 percent to $54.1 million, with greater silver prices responsible for most of the growth. At its engineered materials business, revenue rose 10 percent to $74.2 million on greater sales of commercial roofing products and branded fasteners. Revenue from the Arlon Electronic Materials business rose 20 percent to $21.8 million as it sold more printed circuit board materials to Chinese telecommunications infrastructure companies. Sales from the Kasco meat-room products and maintenance service business rose 11 percent to $16.7 million.
Revenue from the company's tubing business revenue fell 7 percent to $24.5 million on lower sales of specialty products.The quarter also included a $3.7 million gain from derivatives, contracts based on the financial performance of Handy & Harman's underlying subordinated notes and warrants. Shares of Handy & Harman shrugged off a large decline in the broad market, rising 83 cents, or 7.1 percent, to close at $12.53 Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV