ARCA biopharma, Inc. (Nasdaq: ABIO), a biopharmaceutical company developing genetically-targeted therapies for atrial fibrillation and other cardiovascular diseases, announced today that two Gencaro (bucindolol hydrochloride) abstracts have been selected for oral presentation at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2011, being held November 12-16, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. The abstracts present atrial fibrillation data from the pivotal Phase 3 BEST trial of Gencaro.
Dr. Ryan Aleong, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Cardiology, Director of Implanted Cardiac Device Clinic, University of Colorado Hospital, and Interim Director of Arrhythmia Services at Denver Health Medical Center, is scheduled to present both abstracts:
- “Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation by Bucindolol is Completely Dependent on the Beta-1 389 Arg/Gly Adrenergic Receptor Polymorphism.” (Expanded Panel Discussion – EPD.400.03 – Atrial Fibrillation: Novel Insights into Mechanisms; Wednesday, November 16, 2011, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Eastern).
- “Is New Onset Atrial Fibrillation a Surrogate Marker for Heart Failure Progression?” (Abstract Oral Session – AOS.516.01 – Ventricular Function/Hemodynamics and Biomarkers; Wednesday, November 16, 2011, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. Eastern).
Atrial fibrillation is a disorder in which the normally regular and coordinated contraction pattern of the heart's two small upper chambers (the atria) becomes irregular and uncoordinated. The irregular contraction pattern associated with atrial fibrillation causes blood to pool in the atria, predisposing the formation of clots. These clots may travel from the heart and become lodged in the arteries leading to the brain and other organs, thereby blocking necessary blood flow and potentially resulting in stroke. In addition, in patients with heart failure with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (HFREF), new onset atrial fibrillation may also contribute to worsening heart failure and increased risk of death.Studies estimate atrial fibrillation affected between 2 and 3 million Americans in 2005. Those same studies estimate the prevalence of atrial fibrillation will likely increase to between 3.8 million and 4.8 million by 2025. Industry estimates expect the atrial fibrillation drug market in developed countries to increase more than eight-fold, from $843 million in 2009 to $6.8 billion in 2019. The Company believes there is an unmet medical need for new atrial fibrillation treatments that have fewer side effects than currently available therapies and are more effective, particularly in patients with HFREF, where most of the approved atrial fibrillation drugs are contra-indicated or have warnings in their prescribing information.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV