Sending your children off to school with a healthy lunch and snacks may prove more costly this fall.
Kellogg expects commodity costs to rise 8% this year and sees a "fairly significant" rise in costs next year as well. As a result, it has planned more aggressive price increases on cereal, snacks and other food products, expecting price hikes between three and four percentage points.The company is also offsetting rising costs by reducing discounts, introducing new items at higher prices and shrinking its packaging. Heinz has raised prices on its signature ketchup and Ore-Ida potatoes. The company has said the prices of almost everything it puts in its products has increased and it needs to offset those. Kraft said it is facing higher prices for dairy used in cheese (milk prices have spiked more than 40% this year), coffee used in Maxwell House and wheat used in Wheat Thins crackers. Low-price leader Wal-Mart (WMT), which carries many of these brands, raised prices on a number of grocery items earlier in the year, specifically on dairy and meat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV