DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) â¿¿ Companies that process payroll for small business are feeling the pressure of a slumping economy and the diminishing confidence business owners have in short-term recovery.
The National Federation's Small Business Optimism Index slipped 0.9 percent in July, the fifth consecutive month-to-month decline. It fell to 89.9 in July from 90.8 in June.
Jefferies & Co. Inc. analyst Jason Kupferberg said this pessimism supports his cautious approach to small-business payroll providers.
Recent surveys have shown that just 2 percent of small-business owners plan to create jobs, down from 3 percent in June, indicating slow improvement in hiring. More owners in July said they expect business conditions to worsen over the next six months and more said loans are harder to obtain.He maintained a "Hold" rating on Automatic Data Processing Inc. and Paychex Inc. "The overall backdrop for the payroll processors remains challenging, as unemployment remains high and interest rates low," Kupferberg wrote in an investor note. "We continue to have concerns regarding the post-recession growth profile of both companies relative to historical levels, but these names could perform reasonably well in a more 'defensive' market, supported by ample dividend yields." Shares of the major payroll providers advanced on Tuesday as the broader markets regained a portion of the losses witnessed on Monday. The Dow Jones industrial average lost more than 600 points Monday as the market responded to the Standard & Poor's downgrade of the U.S. long-term credit rating and debt problems in Europe. ADP rose 80 cents, or 1.7 percent, to $46.47, and Paychex climbed 43 cents, or 1.7 percent, to $26.17. CBIZ Inc. rose 14 cents, or 2 percent, and Insperity Inc. advanced 20 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV