Analyst Jay Gelb raised his rating on the company to overweight from neutral, noting that the stock trades at near its historic lows at 1.01 times its book value.
"Led by Warren Buffett, we expect Berkshire Hathaway to generate impressive results in Manufacturing, Service & Retail, as well as the Burlington Northern railroad operations, with stable results in Insurance (Berkshire's largest business) and Utilities, with perhaps volatile investment results," Gelb wrote in an industry report. "While Berkshire has higher exposure to equities than other P&C insurers we cover, we believe the impact appears manageable."
Berkshire's cash position is also growing, suggesting more acquisitions might be in the offing.The analyst, however, continues to be concerned about Buffett's succession plan, as he is considered "synonymous with Berskhire." "Berkshire's ability to execute accretive acquisitions is an important strategic advantage. CEO succession risk remains elevated in our view due to a lack of a known successor to Warren Buffett," the report said. Barclays also upgraded Chubb (CB) and Progressive (PGR), citing attractive valuations for the highest quality insurance franchises. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV