NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Triple-leverage funds swung wildly during Monday's chaotic trading session to finish either drastically higher or lower.
The Direxion Daily Russia Bull 3X Shares (RUSL) lurched down 33.5% to settle at $23.03 as it bore the brunt of having leveraged exposures to the negative market action Monday, which was triggered by the first-ever downgrade of the credit rating of the United States by Standard & Poor's late Friday.
On the other hand, exchange-traded funds with a bearish bent, especially the triple-leveraged funds, climbed dramatically as stocks were butchered.The Direxion Daily Russia Bear 3X Shares (RUSS) skyrocketed 34.5% to settle at $52.53, as did the Direxion Large Cap Bear 3X Shares (BGZ), which soared 20.2% to end at $54.48. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV