BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) --Well, the worst week for stocks since November 2008 is finally over, but that doesn't mean that the selling is.
Watching last week's 7.19% slide in the S&P 500 was a lot like watching a train wreck; even when the selloff seemed over, it still had more to go. The selling officially shoved the S&P 500 into negative territory for 2011, a major psychological blow for investors who've been holding out for higher ground. Let's not forget that just a few weeks ago, major indices were taking a stab at multi-year highs -- today, we're breaking records in selling and volatility.
Standard & Poor's downgrade of the U.S.'s AAA credit rating is bound to be the biggest driver of the equity markets as a new week kicks off. While the potential for a downgrade to AA+ had already been priced into stocks, some knee-jerk reaction from investors should be expected this week. We're already seeing it take shape early in today's trading.
Related: 2 Pair Trades for a Volatile MarketThat doesn't necessarily mean that you should step away from stocks right now. We've got the recipe for outsized gains right now: it's all about the Rocket Stocks. For the uninitiated, Rocket Stocks are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. It's a strategy that's been working out pretty well. In the last 115 weeks, Rocket Stocks have outperformed the S&P 500 by a very material 78.9%. With that, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV