A favorite food company is Archer Daniels Midland (ADM). He points to that company as having a great record of increasing their dividend yield year after year.
If you have a leftover bag of fries or Chicken McNuggets holding court in a corner of your fridge, you might also benefit by having McDonald's (MCD) claim space in your portfolio.
"They have only increased their dividend an average over the last 10 years of about 28% a year and they have increased their dividend for 34 years in a row -- nothing special," Cameron says with a chuckle.
Are you a Coke or a Pepsi person? No matter which you prefer in your fridge, both could prove refreshing for your portfolio.Cameron says Pepsi has increased its dividend 39 years in a row. Coca-Cola has increased its dividend 49 years in a row. McCormick (MKC), which makes household seasonings and spices, has increased its dividend an average of more than 13.4% a year for 24 years, he says. Cameron's favorite among food companies, the one he would own if limited to just one, is Nestle (NSRGY), which has pushed its various brands into more than 100 countries. If you keep bottled water in your fridge, you can understand why Nestle has one growing market in particular. As one of the world's largest distributors of bottled water, it has sold billions of bottles. Schlesinger agrees that the dividend potential of food stocks make them appealing. "We tend to be an income-oriented shop, so we have a bias toward dividends," he says. "We like to see the strength of the cash flow behind that, which helps in our equity purchase decisions. The dividend is a great thing, whether or not people are using that dividend as income or reinvesting it to build value over time."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV