BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The next time you head into the kitchen for a snack you may also be able to satisfy your appetite for quality investments.
A common bit of advice is that you should invest in what you know, and food is something we all know well. Are there benefits to a "refrigerator portfolio," choosing investments based on the brands you and your family buy?
|A common bit of advice is that you should invest in what you know, and food is something we all know well.|
Are there Hershey (HSY) bars chilling in the freezer or cereal boxes from Kellogg (K) and General Mills (GIS) stocked beside it? Is there a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (made by Church & Dwight (CHD)) wedged in the back, alongside a can of Kraft's (KFT) Maxwell House coffee and some Sara Lee (SLE) pound cake or Jimmy Dean sausages?Did you stock up on all those goodies at Safeway (SWY), Kroger (KR), Whole Foods (WFM), Wal-Mart (WMT) or Target (TGT)? If you assume -- probably correctly -- your neighbors buy similar products, these refrigerator stocks could beef up your portfolio and keep your retirement plan well-fed. Mitch Schlesinger, CFA, managing director of FBB Capital Partners in Bethesda, Md., says now might prove a great time to get a taste for food company stocks. "It makes some sense, especially in volatile markets, because those companies tend to have stable recurring cash flows, which gives them business stability," he says. "We used to think of them as recession-proof. Maybe that's not quite accurate, but they do tend to be repeat purchase items that people buy year in, year out, in good times and bad."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV