Berkshire Bids for Transatlantic Holdings
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Reinsurer Transatlantic Holdings (TRH) announced Sunday it has received a $3.25 billion buyout offer from National Indemnity Company, a unit of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A).
In a news release, Transatlantic says National Indemnity is offering $52 for each of its outstanding shares, a 15% premium to Transatlantic's Friday closing price of $45.24.
In June, Transatlantic agreed to merge with Allied World Assurance Company (AWH). Under the terms of that deal, Transatlantic shareholders would receive 0.88 Allied World shares for each Transatlantic share. Based on Allied World's Friday closing share price of $50.25, that deal values Transatlantic at $44.22 a share, or $2.76 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV