BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Jeanie Wyatt, head of $2 billion investment firm South Texas Money Management, says yesterday's dive in the Dow and S&P 500 was "great, quite frankly."
As stock prices continued their worst slump since 2008 and Treasury yields collapsed, Wyatt says she's considering buying banks such as Wells Fargo (WFC) and technology companies like EMC Corp. (EMC).
"This correction was so broad that it has created some great opportunities," says Wyatt, whose firm oversees separately managed accounts for individual investors in San Antonio. "You could have a field day buying a lot of things. The stock market will be a much better place to find yield, so with the selloff, you can now easily find yields that exceed the U.S. Treasury."
Wyatt says she has been expecting economic softness. She argues that now is the time to capitalize on the fact that most investors are stuck looking in the rearview mirror rather than seeing what's ahead."We're having a growth scare. But we've been saying all along that the Japanese tsunami and the high prices at the gas pumps were really going to be very hard on the economy in the second quarter," she says. "Now we're getting those reports, but people are missing the point." Wyatt says her clients didn't panic either, saying they are smarter having survived the market crash in 2008 and early 2009. "They know that being reactive is the worst thing to do. The selloff was so broad that it was clearly a capitulation," she says. Following the better-than-expected July jobs data today, U.S. stock-market indices are seesawing. South Texas Money Management quantitatively looks at over 30,000 stocks, but the firm's investor portfolios are each balanced with about 50 to 60 companies that hedge between value and growth. "We have names like Netflix (NFLX) alongside really out of favor stocks like Sony (SNE)," Wyatt says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV