Washington Mutual's demise was brought about -- in large part -- by its addiction to option-payment adjustable-rate mortgages, which were among the riskiest of the hybrid loan types that became so popular during the real estate bubble.
Like other large banks with "legacy" portfolios of toxic mortgages acquired from other institutions, JPMorgan has shown a great willingness to modify the option-ARMS, in an effort to keep borrowers in their homes.
Thorough Bank Failure Coverage
All bank and thrift closures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet's interactive bank failure map:
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV