Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. (TNCLP) (NYSE: TNH) today reported net earnings of $128.9 million on net sales of $198.6 million for the second quarter ended June 30, 2011. This compares to net earnings of $66.7 million on net sales of $166.9 million for the 2010 second quarter. Net earnings allocable to common units was $73.1 million ($3.95 per common unit) and $41.1 million ($2.22 per common unit) for the 2011 and 2010 second quarters, respectively.
Results for the second quarter of 2011 included an unrealized non-cash mark-to-market loss on natural gas derivatives of $3.8 million. No gain or loss was reported in the second quarter of 2010.
For the first six months of 2011, TNCLP reported net earnings of $249.8 million on net sales of $394.6 million. This compares to net earnings of $100.6 million on net sales of $285.7 million for the first six months of 2010. Net earnings allocable to common units was $139.7 million ($7.55 per common unit) and $74.0 million ($4.00 per common unit) for the first six months of 2011 and 2010, respectively.
Analysis of ResultsNet sales for the 2011 second quarter totaled $198.6 million, compared to net sales of $166.9 million for the 2010 second quarter. This increase was due to higher ammonia and urea ammonium nitrate solutions (UAN) selling prices, offset partially by lower volumes. The increase in prices resulted from an improved global supply/demand balance for nitrogen products and higher crop plantings in North America. The decrease in UAN volume reflected primarily weather-related logistical problems that affected shipments and caused a short-term increase in product inventory. From the 2010 to the 2011 second quarter, TNCLP’s:
- UAN and ammonia selling prices increased by 48 and 47 percent, respectively.
- UAN and ammonia sales volumes decreased by 11 and 5 percent, respectively.
- Realized natural gas unit costs decreased by 4 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV