LinkedIn earnings story updated from 4:16 p.m. with CEO comment from the company's earnings conference call.
- LinkedIn (LNKD), the newly-public social network for professionals, reported adjusted earnings per share of 10 cents on sales of $121 million for the second quarter.
- Analysts expected a loss of 3 cents a share on sales of $104.7 million.
- LinkedIn, whose shares were up about 12% since going public in May, saw its stock close down 9.6% at $95.52 Thursday amid the broader market selloff. After earnings, its shares were jumping more than 4% in the post-market session.
- This marks the first earnings report for the company since its NYSE debut. In 2010, LinkedIn said it generated earnings of $19.4 million and revenues of $243 million.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- LinkedIn (LNKD), the first major barometer of investors' social media appetite, handily beat Wall Street's second-quarter estimates in its first earnings report since going public in May.
The business-minded Web site, which recently became the second-largest social network behind Facebook, said its member base had grown to nearly 116 million, an increase of 61% from the year-ago quarter."In the second quarter, we saw record levels of members, unique visitors and page views, while revenue growth further accelerated," CEO Jeff Weiner said in a prepared statement.
|LinkedIn went public in May.|
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV