5 blue chippers to buy to ride out the double dip MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- According to the market, a double-dip recession is upon us. Finally, on Wednesday, the S&P 500 broke its seven-day losing streak and the Dow avoided its ninth day of losses as stocks finished slightly higher across the board.
The losing streak was the worst we had seen since the 2008 financial crisis. Being the forward-looking instrument it is, the market is clearly placing bets on consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.
The recent losses were apparently about much more than the debt ceiling debate, which resolved itself by the Aug. 2 deadline. Rightly so, the market cares more about things such as jobs and GDP growth. With weakness in those categories, stocks are likely to struggle. It matters little that corporate earnings are for the most part strong, with many companies increasing future guidance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV