5 blue chippers to buy to ride out the double dip MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- According to the market, a double-dip recession is upon us. Finally, on Wednesday, the S&P 500 broke its seven-day losing streak and the Dow avoided its ninth day of losses as stocks finished slightly higher across the board.
The losing streak was the worst we had seen since the 2008 financial crisis. Being the forward-looking instrument it is, the market is clearly placing bets on consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.
The recent losses were apparently about much more than the debt ceiling debate, which resolved itself by the Aug. 2 deadline. Rightly so, the market cares more about things such as jobs and GDP growth. With weakness in those categories, stocks are likely to struggle. It matters little that corporate earnings are for the most part strong, with many companies increasing future guidance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV