Smith Micro Software Incorporated Stock Downgraded (SMSI)
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 1.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 48.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- SMITH MICRO SOFTWARE INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SMITH MICRO SOFTWARE INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.35 versus $0.15 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 171.4% in earnings (-$0.25 versus $0.35).
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 68.17%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 540.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, SMITH MICRO SOFTWARE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 516.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.89 million to -$7.85 million.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.