Updated with new stock price.
SEATTLE ( TheStreet) -- Dendreon (DNDN) shocked investors Wednesday by announcing that Provenge sales are growing much slower than expected because doctors are concerned about getting reimbursed for using the expensive prostate cancer drug.
Some thoughts, observations and questions for Thursday morning after watching Dendreon shares plunge 62% to $13.65 in Wednesday's after-market trading session. On Thursday morning, Dendreon is trading around $14:
"WTF just happened?" Dendreon blames the "cost density" of Provenge for the setback, which is jargon for doctors unwilling (or unable) to shell out $93,000 for a treatment course of Provenge before receiving reimbursement from their patients' insurance companies.Provenge is certainly not the only high-priced cancer drug, but when prescribing Provenge doctors are on the hook for a lot of money ($93,000) in a relatively short period of time -- let's say one month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV