Nathan's Famous, Inc. (NASDAQ:NATH) today reported results for the first quarter of its 2012 fiscal year that ended June 26, 2011.
For the fiscal quarter ended June 26, 2011:
- Net income was $1,596,000 or $0.31 per diluted share as compared to $1,660,000 or $0.29 per diluted share for the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010;
- Earnings before income taxes increased by 2.9% to $2,591,000 as compared to $2,517,000 for the thirteen weeks June 27, 2010;
- Non-GAAP earnings, which exclude the litigation expense items described below, were $1,666,000 or $0.32 per diluted share; and
- Revenues increased by 14.5% to $17,897,000, as compared to $15,626,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010.
The Company also reported the following:
- Sales from the Branded Product Program, featuring the sale of Nathan’s hot dogs to the foodservice industry, increased by 29.2% to $10,140,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 26, 2011 as compared to sales of $7,850,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010.
- Retail license royalties increased by 9.3% or $168,000 to $1,967,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 26, 2011 as compared to $1,799,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010.
- Revenues from franchise operations increased by 14.3% or $180,000 to $1,435,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 26, 2011 as compared to $1,255,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010. Fourteen new franchised units were opened during the thirteen weeks ended June 26, 2011, including our first restaurant in Alberta, Canada, third restaurant in Beijing, China, fourth restaurant in the Dominican Republic and fifteenth restaurant in Kuwait.
- Gross profit was 18.7% of sales as compared to 23.2% of sales during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010 due primarily to unusually high beef costs.
- The effective tax rate of 38.4% is approximately 4.4% higher than for the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2010 when we resolved uncertain tax positions, reversing $79,000 of prior period accruals.
- During the thirteen weeks ended June 26, 2011, we continued our stock repurchase programs, acquiring 31,569 shares at a total cost of approximately $573,000.
As previously described with respect to our litigation with SMG, on April 7, 2011, the Court entered a stipulation and order which granted a stay of enforcement of the final judgment which is in the amount of approximately $4,910,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV