American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. Reports Second Quarter Financial Results
American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE:ASI) today reported net earnings of $4.1 million for the three months ended June 30, 2011, or $0.38 per diluted share, as compared to $6.2 million, or $0.58 per diluted share, for the same period of 2010.
Financial highlights for the quarter included 1 :
- Net earned premiums increased 25% to $59.2 million
- Property losses from U.S. storms were $5.1 million ($3.3 million after tax), contributing approximately 9 points to the combined ratio
- The combined ratio was 105.8% compared to 99.4%
- Operating cash flow was $8.1 million compared to $24.7 million
- Book value was $29.76 per diluted share versus $29.00 at December 31, 2010
1 All comparisons are with the same period last year unless stated otherwise.
Second Quarter ResultsTotal revenues in the quarter increased to $68.2 million from $56.8 million in 2010 primarily due to increases in net earned premiums across all insurance divisions. Investment income increased to $8.1 million while net realized gains and fee income decreased slightly. The combined ratio of 105.8% consists of a loss ratio of 67.4% and an expense ratio of 38.4%, compared to 61.9% and 37.5%, respectively, for the same quarter of 2010. The loss ratio includes the impact from U.S. storm losses of $5.1 million, composed of $4.1 million in the ART division and $1.0 million in the E&S division. The increase in the expense ratio was primarily attributable to lower fronting fees in the ART division. For the three months ended June 30, 2011, net operating earnings of $3.9 million compares to $5.7 million for the same quarter 2010. The decrease in net operating earnings is primarily due to the U.S. storm losses noted above. Net operating earnings (loss) is a non-GAAP financial measure defined by the Company as net earnings adjusted for net realized gains (losses), net of applicable taxes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV