5 Best Cities for Avoiding the Real World
BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- The real world is a scary place right now, especially for recent college graduates just trying to avoid it.
Unemployment is at 9.1% as job growth sputters, existing home sales are down 8.8% as credit tightens and down payments rise and the average cost of just about anything is up 3.7% in the past year, according to the Consumer Price Index. If you were a college student, would you want to do a keg stand of that reality after four years of the good life?
That answer's increasingly and emphatically no. The percentage of people ages 18 to 30 who are working full time dropped from 50% in 2006 to 41% last year, according to a report from the Pew Research Center last year. At the same time, the number who either work part time or are full-time students has increased three percentage points, to 24% and 13% respectively.
Almost 40% of those between 18 and 24 are in college, which is more than any generation before and fueled by those who went to community college or graduate school after giving up on the job hunt. As a result, only 63% of those 18 to 30 are employed, compared with 70% of Generation X and 66% of baby boomers when they were the same age.Of those 18 to 30 who weathered the recession, 13% moved back home with their parents, another 15% took a roommate to cut costs and only 22% own their own home, less than any other generation before. If this is the battle they face, is facing it in a city with lots of people their own age, tons of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and other spots to hang out and cheap public transit or easy walking and biking paths too much to ask? At least five cities don't think so. We found a handful of places that are a boon for young college grads and filled with activities and amenities for those not quite ready to let the real world shut down the party or yell "last call" just yet:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV