"They [Amag management] won't sell the company for $18, nor will long term shareholders -- the stock was recently $19 on its own," says the AMAG shareholder, who asked to remain anonymous because his fund doesn't permit him to speak to the media. "[AMAG CEO Brian] Periera doesn't get the big payout at these prices. In the $20s, they might be able to go hostile, direct to shareholders. What it does do is put a floor under the stock."
Another hedge fund manager, also unaffiliated with MSMB Capital, questions the legitimacy of the Amag offer.
"I don't know that MSMB has the financial resources to buy Amag, and if that's the case, this just feels like stock manipulation to me," says the fund manager, who also requested anonymity.
In its letter to Amag, MSMB Capital says a higher-priced offer for the company is possible contingent on due diligence. MSMB seeks a response from Amag by Aug. 15.--Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV