Swiss investment bank Credit Suisse (CS) said on Nov.1 that it will cut another 3% of its workforce or an additional 1,500 jobs after a disappointing third quarter and expectations that difficult market conditions will persist.
The latest cuts come on top of earlier plans to slash 2,000 jobs announced in July following a tough second quarter.
The firm raised its cost-saving target to 2 billion Swiss Francs ($2.3 billion) from 1 billion Swiss Francs previously announced. Credit Suisse now expects headcount reductions in its investment banking operations and other efficiency measures to generate 1.2 billion Swiss Francs in savings by 2012 and the remaining 0.8 billion will be generated by the end of 2013."We believe subdued economic growth and the low interest rate environment and increased regulation that we are seeing may persist for an extended period. We may well continue to see continued low levels of client activity and a volatile trading environment," Credit Suisse CEO Brady Dougan said in a statement following the results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV