The trustee in charge of liquidating MF Global (MFGLQ.PK) said termination notices have been issued to the 1,066 employees of the broker-dealer unit.
The firings were "a necessary part of the court-ordered liquidation of MF Global Inc.," the trustee said. The employees have been terminated with immediate effect, though they will be paid through Tuesday, Nov. 15.
The firm had already laid off 165 employees across functions from another unit that once had 250 people, The Wall Street Journal's fins.com reported, citing a person familiar with the situation.Many terminated employees haven't received severance pay, deferred compensation or bonuses, according to that report. MF Global is being liquidated after its parent filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 31. Regulators have launched a formal investigation into the firm after more than $600 million of customer funds went missing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV