BNP Paribas (BNP.PA) is set to cut nearly 1,400 jobs from its corporate and investment bank, union representatives said on Wednesday.
The cuts will include 373 jobs in France and more than 1,000 jobs abroad. Most of the layoffs are expected in the structured finance and capital markets teams.
The announcement came a day after rival Societe Generale (GLE.PA) said it was in talks with unions over layoffs. One union member said the number of job cuts to be about 500 to 600, according to a Reuters report.According to another Reuters report, the CEO of SocGen has said a recession cannot be ruled out in France in 2012 and that layoffs cannot be avoided.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV