Citigroup (C) is planning to layoff 4,500 jobs, or 1.6% of its total workforce over the next few quarters.
Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Financial Services Conference on Tuesday, CEO Vikram Pandit said the bank will take a $400 million charge related to the job reduction, including severance charges.
Citi is targeting an annual reduction of 3% to 5% of its expenses. A sizeable chunk of the latest job cuts are likely to be in the investment banking division, given the pressure on markets revenues as a result of ongoing uncertainty in Europe.Citi has begun trimming its workforce in its investment banking office in London, Reuters reported on Wednesday. Those in the mergers and acquisitions division were notified on Monday, while equities and foreign exchange are expected to be notified on Wednesday and Thursday, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter. Citigroup shed thousands of jobs in 2008 and 2009 following the financial crisis. Since then its workforce has leveled off and stood at about 267,000 as of the third quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV