NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In this world of the "new normal" where the U.S. could be facing a downgrade -- and U.S. Treasuries are no longer considered the gold standard -- we've compiled a list of the top ten triple-A rated corporate and sovereign bond issuers to take the place of the T-bill in your portfolio.
Our list comprises ten entities that have the triple-A rating of both Standard & Poor's and Moody's that also have a stable outlook. The list includes three U.S.-based companies and seven countries that, for various reasons ranging from population size to currency strength, offer the best triple-A-rated debt.
We did consider including a number of U.S. financials, mainly insurance companies, which also have triple-A ratings. However, given the fact that all of them have significant holdings of U.S. Treasuries and agency securities they would be directly affected in the event of a downgrade of U.S. government debt, as would the stability of their ratings.
Our picks of the triple-A -rated sovereigns are listed here in alphabetical order.Some pessimists will (perhaps rightly) point out that the volume of U.S. government available debt dwarfs that of any other triple-A rated sovereign issuer. In terms of volume, the next best choices are Japan with a 200% debt-to-GDP ratio and Italy - enough said. But unless you're Warren Buffet reading this, there should be some options available to you and your modestly-sized portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV