The Yacktman Fund boosted its Microsoft (MSFT) stake by 1.7 million shares in the second quarter, bringing its total holdings to 10.6 million shares, or 5.1% of the fund, worth $275 million.
Microsoft, which has a market value of $228 billion, has seen its shares decline 1.1% this year, but they are up 8% over the past 12 months. Long-term, its shares have a lackluster five-year annualized return of 4.4%.Microsoft, the developer of the Windows PC operating system, the Office suite of productivity software, and enterprise server products such as Windows Server and SQL Server, is now transitioning into cloud-computing products, which is a move to Web-based applications, which means it's entering new markets. Among its recent efforts, the company has partnered with phone maker Nokia (NOK), and that is expected to drive large market-share gains for the Windows Phone platform and create the next $1 billion-plus annual revenue stream for the company, Morningstar says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV