5. Alliant Energy (LNT), a regulated investor-owned public utility holding company, provides regulated electricity and natural gas services to one million electric and 412,000 natural gas customers in the Midwest through its two public utility subsidiaries. The company has three operating segments: electric, gas and other operations. Alliant is scheduled to release its second quarter 2011 results on Thursday.
The company recently declared its quarterly dividend of 42.5 cents per share, payable Aug. 15, 2011. With a dividend history of 263 consecutive quarters, the company has a current dividend yield of 4.14%. Annualized dividend of $1.7 per share indicates a 12% increase and also places the dividend within its target payout ratio of 60% to 70% of utility earnings. Additionally, in mid-May, the company's utility subsidiaries declared preferred stock dividends in the range of 40.6 cents to $1.10 per share.
Analysts polled by Bloomberg see the company reporting second-quarter net income of $54.13 million, or 49 cents per share, compared to $49.30 million, or 43 cents per share, a year ago. Sales are seen rising by 4% to $768.33 million from $741.60 million in the same quarter of the prior year. Gross margin is seen expanding to 61.80% from 50.71% in year-ago quarter. Cash flow per share for the quarter is seen at a strong $1.07, while return on assets is seen expanding by 16% to 1.34%.Of the 11 analysts covering the stock, 45% recommend a buy and the remaining rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg foresee the stock gaining an average 8.3% to $43.00 in the upcoming 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV