NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The following companies from the utility industry span sectors such as electric-integrated, water, pipelines and gas distribution and have high-dividend yield and significant potential upside over the next 12 months. These companies are scheduled to release their quarterly earnings during the week.
To avoid risky equity plays in the current down market, investors should consider utility stocks, which are classic defensives with their above-average dividend yield. Since April 29, 2011, the utilities sector on the S&P 500 index edged up 0.02% compared to the industrial, financial and basic material sectors, which shed 10.6%, 9.7% and 6.6%, respectively.
These stocks have market capitalization above $1 billion and generate dividend yield in the range of 2.6% to 5.0%. According to analysts' estimates, these eight stocks are likely to generate 5% to 14% upside. On average, these stocks have a 42% buy rating and 53% hold rating.
The stocks are stacked based on dividend yield, lowest to highest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV