2. MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) manufactures silicon wafers. The company operates in segments such as semiconductor materials, solar materials and solar energy.
Net sales for the first quarter of 2011 was $736 million, up 68% from the first quarter of 2010. Sales were robust across all segments, particularly from Solar Materials and SunEdison.
Japan's devastating earthquake and unfavorable legal settlements affected earnings during the first quarter. MEMC reported net loss of $4.5 million for 2011 first quarter vs. a net loss of $9.6 million in the first quarter of 2010.Capex for the first quarter was $205 million. With cash and cash equivalents of $684.1 million and operating cash of $225 million at the end of March, the company is comfortably paced to fund its capex program. MEMC is making investments in solar wafer capacity, semiconductor wafer production and poly-silicon capacity expansion. Analysts expect an upside of 75% in the next year. The stock is trading at 6 times its 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV