2. MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) manufactures silicon wafers. The company operates in segments such as semiconductor materials, solar materials and solar energy.
Net sales for the first quarter of 2011 was $736 million, up 68% from the first quarter of 2010. Sales were robust across all segments, particularly from Solar Materials and SunEdison.
Japan's devastating earthquake and unfavorable legal settlements affected earnings during the first quarter. MEMC reported net loss of $4.5 million for 2011 first quarter vs. a net loss of $9.6 million in the first quarter of 2010.Capex for the first quarter was $205 million. With cash and cash equivalents of $684.1 million and operating cash of $225 million at the end of March, the company is comfortably paced to fund its capex program. MEMC is making investments in solar wafer capacity, semiconductor wafer production and poly-silicon capacity expansion. Analysts expect an upside of 75% in the next year. The stock is trading at 6 times its 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV