NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- European stocks that brushed off bailouts in Ireland, Portugal and Greece hit a 10-month low Tuesday, reflecting a mix of poor economic data coming from the U.S., sluggish growth and a sovereign debt crisis that just won't go away.
The Stoxx Europe 600 Index retreated 1.4% to 258.44 in London on Tuesday, the lowest level since Oct. 5 on foot of several earnings reports that missed analysts' estimates. Meanwhile, 10-year benchmark bond yields in Italy and Spain -- the two eurozone countries now seen to pose the greatest threat to Europe's financial stability - remain above the psychological barrier of 6%, as markets refuse to accept that Europe's debt crisis has been solved.
Both benchmarks breached 6% for the first time in July. The three eurozone countries that have so far been bailed out -- Greece, Ireland and Portugal -- all issued their most recent 10-year bonds at yields of between 6% and 7%.
Adding to Europe's woes, a raft of European banks announced sweeping job cuts in the past week. Barclays (BCS) announced a further 1,600 jobs cuts Tuesday, on top of the 1,400 jobs already lost this year. HSBC (HBC) announced up to 30,000 layoffs Monday. It followed the news that Lloyds (LYG) would cut 15,000 jobs, while Credit Suisse (CS) plans to cut 2,000 jobs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV