Pfizer earned $2.61 billion, or 33 cents a share, in the quarter, up 5% from year-earlier earnings of $2.48 billion, or 31 cents a share.
Adjusted earnings of 60 cents topped analysts' estimates of 59 cents a share. The adjusted number excludes the Capsugel business, which was sold by Pfizer.
Revenue fell to $16.98 billion from $17.1 billion. Analysts were expecting revenue of $16.98 billion.U.S. revenue was $6.7 billion, a decrease of 9% from the year-earlier quarter. International revenue was $10.3 billion, up 5%. Pfizer said Tuesday it was sticking with its forecast for 2011 adjusted earnings of $2.16 to $2.26 a share. Analysts forecast earnings of $2.25 a share. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV