Motorola Patents a Google Ally vs Apple
The breakout success of Google's Android operating system has sparked an intense arms race in technology patents particularly related to mobile.
"We believe this is the singular most important issue for the smartphone industry at the moment," JPMorgan analyst Rod Hall wrote in a research note Monday.
Unsure of who has claims to intellectual property rights, industry giants are girding for battle by acquiring patent portfolios. Meanwhile, those with patents -- like Motorola -- are being urged by investors like Carl Icahn to carve out the assets for sale. And Motorola, happy to boast about the size of its patent portfolio, replied with the message that its patents are core to a successful strategy.
To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. Follow Scott on Twitter at MoritzDispatch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV