If the founders could only see what's happening now they'd be disgusted and mighty pissed off! This is hardly a market headline now is it? Well, you won't see it anywhere else but my sense is most people are feeling as Father George would feel right now.
We did, or are getting, the debt ceiling relief everyone was worried and fixated upon. We'll get a vote in the Congress after 6-7 PM EDT.
On the news of this last night, markets in Asia rallied. I was watching breathless and excited Bloomberg anchors in Asia cheering markets. Markets opened higher in the U.S. but quickly turned south as the important ISM Data missed consensus forecasts badly (50.9 vs 54.6 expected). This shows the economy is still contracting. The sell-off continued until we tagged the all-important 200 day moving average in several sectors, and with conditions much oversold, we rallied. The intraday DJIA sported a 280 point intraday swing.Nobody is paying much attention to earnings news overall since the focus is on debt and the economy. Gold fell, then rallied and fell again modestly as nervousness remains high. The dollar rallied against the euro and other currencies as the rubber band was stretched too far and Bucky was at critical support. Commodities rallied early but then fell after ISM data pointed toward weak demand. Bonds continued to rally despite ongoing debt and debt ceiling debate. Volume was quite heavy and could be a selling climax since who's left in the game? Breadth per the WSJ was mixed to negative adding to the short-term oversold conditions. You can follow our pithy comments on twitter and join the conversation with me on facebook. Continue to U.S. Sector, Stocks & Bond ETFs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV