- Leadership Transcripts. A leadership transcript is similar to an academic transcript; however, it records on-campus leadership achievements. BYU-I sponsors more than 200 intramural sports and student clubs, and all are run by students. If any student wants to create a new club or sport, she is free to do so as long as he or she follows the formal certification process -- great training for future entrepreneurs. One intramural sport is swimming. BYU-I has swimming leagues for students of all skill levels. A student can join a team as a swimmer and try to be promoted to assistant coach. From there, he can go on to be a head coach of one of the teams. If he is particularly ambitious, he may become the swimming league organizer, who runs the entire sport. The organizer needs to build and staff the organization with volunteers -- one of the most challenging leadership tasks.
- Internships Required. Hiring managers often complain that college graduates have few practical skills. At BYU-I, students in virtually all majors are required to complete one or two school-approved internships. This is a challenging task in today's economy that requires a creative solution.
- Transformed Teaching Model. BYU-I's president is Kim Clark, the former dean of Harvard Business School. Undergraduate classes use an approach similar to Harvard's case-study method. Students must be fully prepared before coming to class. Class time is a discussion where students teach students. Students keep journals to learn through reflection. Students learn that in life learning is not possible without reflection.
- Learning to Manage Conflict. BYU-I classes include many team projects where students learn to be good leaders and good followers. Students are also taught how to have difficult conversations with each other. One example is confronting a teammate who has not delivered on his or her commitments.
The U.S.'s Strength Is Leadership: The Innovators
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.