NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Hedge fund kingpin John Paulson gave $1 million to Restore Our Future, a political action committee with strong ties to Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney.
Paulson, who catapulted into the top ranks of hedge fund investors with a historic bet against the U.S. housing market, donated to both Republican and Democratic candidates in 2009 and early 2010, but since April 2010 has donated exclusively to Republicans, according to OpenSecrets.org.
Restore Our Future, led by former Romney aides during his 2008 Presidential campaign, raised more than $12.2 million in the first half of 2011 through just 90 donors, according to a report filed Sunday with the Federal Election Commission.
Other financial services industry donors to the group include Moore Capital CEO Louis Bacon, who gave $500,000, former JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO Bill Harrison, who donated $10,000, and IntercontinentalExchange (ICE) CEO Jeffrey Sprecher, donor of $230,000.Senior executives from private equity firms KKR & Co. (KKR), Apollo Management and Bain Capital, which Romney co-founded in 1984, were also among the donors, as was Sun Capital co-CEO Marc Leder, who gave $125,000. Putnam Investments CEO Robert Reynolds gave Romney $100,000, while Edmund Kelly, who retired last month as CEO of Liberty Mutual Group, chipped in $1,000. Eric Varvel, Credit Suisse (CS) COO of Investment Banking and a major donor to Romney's 2008 campaign, gave $100,000 to the PAC. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV