Updated from 6:48 a.m. EDT
NORTHBROOK, Illinois ( TheStreet) -- Insurance company Allstate (ALL) said Monday it swung to a second-quarter loss of $620 million, or $1.19 a share, as it recorded $2.3 billion in catastrophe losses.
Allstate said Monday it experienced 33 catastrophe loss events including five tornadoes, three wildfires and 25 wind/hailstorms in the second quarter.
Excluding catastrophe losses and year reserve re-estimates in the prior year, the combined ratio improved to 87.5 during the second quarter from 88.1 a year earlier. . A ratio above 100 means that for every premium dollar taken in, more than a dollar went to cover claims and expenses. A figure below 100 means the company made a profit on its insurance operations.Allstate said the adjusted loss in the quarter was $1.23 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected a loss of $1.56 a share. In the year-earlier second quarter, Allstate earned $145 million, or 27 cents a share. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV