Humana earned $460.3 million, or $2.71 a share, in the second quarter. A year earlier, the company earned $340.1 million, or $2 a share.
Adjusted income in the quarter was $2.50 a share. Revenue in the quarter rose 8% to $9.28 billion, with total premiums and services revenue also up 8%.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected Humana to earn $2.06 a share in the second quarter on revenue of $9.35 billion.Humana said it raised its 2011 earnings forecast to a range of $7.50 to $7.60 a share, up from a previous estimate $6.70 to $6.90 a share. Humana said individual Medicare Advantage membership was 1,602,500 at June 30, an increase of 10% from a year earlier. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV