ST. LOUIS and LUXEMBOURG, Aug. 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) and ArcelorMittal (NYSE: MT) today confirm that following the recent completion of due diligence they intend to launch an all-cash off-market takeover bid to acquire all the shares in Macarthur Coal Ltd (ASX: MCC).
Under the offer, Macarthur shareholders will be offered A$15.50 cash per share, valuing the equity in Macarthur at approximately A$4.7 billion.
Macarthur shareholders will also be entitled to retain any final dividend declared by Macarthur in respect of the financial year ended June 30, 2011, up to an amount of 16 cents per share, without reducing the offer price. This represents a total value of A$15.66 cash per share.
Following due diligence, Peabody and ArcelorMittal attempted to negotiate a bid implementation agreement (BIA) with Macarthur. However, Macarthur was not willing to engage on a BIA on customary terms even with Peabody and ArcelorMittal's willingness to improve the price from the original proposal if such a BIA could be agreed. As a result, a formal offer was submitted to Macarthur, valuing the company at $15.66 per share (inclusive of the dividend) without a BIA while seeking a recommendation. The Macarthur board declined to recommend this offer."Peabody and ArcelorMittal believe our bid is compelling," said Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce, "And we have decided to take this attractive offer directly to Macarthur shareholders to provide them with significant value." Aditya Mittal, Chief Financial Officer and Member of the Group Management Board of ArcelorMittal said: "We are making an attractive offer directly to shareholders, which represents a 41% premium to the closing price immediately before our approach was disclosed to the market."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV